BCCC Veterans Affairs Office Logo

Applying for a V.A. Education Benefit Program


To apply for a V.A. Education Benefit, you must first submit an application to the V.A.  Applications can be submited by fax, mail, or the Internet (see below).  Which V.A. Application you should submit depends on your status and your education benefit program.  If you need help choosing a VA Education Benefit program, refer to the VA's Benefit Comparison tools.


V.A. Education Benefit Programs are often referred to by the Chapter of the U.S. Code that contains them, as follows:

  • Montgomery GI BILL - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) - Chapter 31
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33
  • Survivors' and Dependents Assistance (DEA) - Chapter 35
  • Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserves (MGIB - SR) - Chapter 1606
  • Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) - Chapter 1607
  • Veterans Retraining Assistance Act (VRAP) - VOW to Hire Heroes Act
V.A. Education Benefits - Application Form Required:
  • Veterans
    • CH. 30 or 33 
      • 22-1990
    • CH. 31 
      • 28-1900
    • VRAP 
      • 22-1990R
  • Dependents
    • CH 33
      • 22-1990E
    • CH 35
      • 22-5490
  • Reservists
    • CH. 1606, 1607, or 33 
      • 22-1990
V.A. Education Benefits can be applied for by fax, mail, or the Internet.  Internet submission is recommended since processing is faster and applications can be traced.


To Apply by Mail/Fax:

 Download, complete, print, then mail or fax the Adobe .PDF file from the V.A.'s web site here

To Apply through the Internet:

Sign up for a VONAPP (Veterans On-Line Application) account and submit your V.A. application here