BCCC is both an old and a young institution. The College dates its origins to Baltimore Junior College, founded as part of the Baltimore City Public Schools in 1947 to provide post-high school education for returning World War II veterans. In 1967, the College was renamed Community College of Baltimore and restructured as a department of the City of Baltimore. In the 1980s City and State leaders recognized that shrinking City resources made it difficult for the City to operate a quality institution of higher education. On July 1, 1990, the Maryland General Assembly created a new institution, New Community College of Baltimore, funded by the State of Maryland. The College was granted permanent status in 1992 and renamed Baltimore City Community College.
Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) provides outstanding educational, cultural, and social experiences to the residents of Baltimore City, the state of Maryland, and surrounding areas. The College’s accessible, affordable, comprehensive programs include college transfer and career preparation, technical training, and life skills training. The College provides a variety of student services that meet and support the learning needs of an increasingly diverse student population. BCCC is a dynamic higher education institution that is responsive to the changing needs of its stakeholders: individuals, businesses, government, and educational institutions of the community at large.
Baltimore City Community College strives to be the leader in providing quality education that responds to and meets the needs of a diverse population of learners, adding value to lives and the community.