For Immediate Release
Contact: Bill Fleming
October 23, 2012
BCCC to Join Maryland Community Colleges in
“Big Give” Fundraising Effort Nov. 14
BALTIMORE – Baltimore City Community College, in conjunctionwith the Baltimore City Community College Foundation, Inc., will participatewith 15 other Maryland community colleges in a daylong effort to raise funds onlinefor scholarships, student support services, faculty development, instructionalprograms and campus improvements.
The Maryland Association of CommunityColleges “BIG GIVE” campaign is the first online event of its kind to raisefunds for higher education. For 24 hours Nov. 14, the 16 Maryland communitycolleges and their foundations will compete against each other to raise moneyand donors. For a BCCC student, resources provided by this campaign could fund:
· Scholarships for students interested in pursuingcareers in high-demand fields of science, technology, engineering andmathematics (STEM);
· Needs-based and emergency scholarships forstudents who have few, if any, alternatives for meeting the expenses ofstarting or staying in college;
· New and upgraded campus facilities or state-of-the-artequipment;
· Enhanced athletics and performing and visual artsprograms;
· Experiential learning and STEM internshipopportunities
Investing in a BCCC student is aninvestment in the community. That’s because when community college studentsachieve their goals and enter the workforce, they contribute to the economy andgive back.
BIG GIVE contributions are expected togenerate a positive impact statewide for the following reasons:
· 94 percent of students who attend communitycolleges are Marylanders who choose to stay in Maryland after receiving theirdegree;
· For every tax dollar spent on community colleges,taxpayers get two dollars back in higher tax revenues.
Contributions to the BCCC Nov. 14 BIG GIVEcampaign should be made on the college’s Razoo.com online page at http://www.razoo.com/story/Givebccc. For more information, contact Tanika Harris, BCCC Foundation donor relations and development information specialist, at 410-209-6026 or email@example.com.